The back and sides of this Urlacher Concert guitar have been made with Keyaki, a rare wood not often used for musical instruments. When I came into contact with this wood, I knew it would make a stunning guitar, both visually and tonally. Keyaki wood is valued in Japan and is used as a premium building material (Temple Wood). Keyaki is a golden straw color and has a lustrous straight grain when quartersawn. As a tonewood, Keyaki falls somewhere between Mahogany and Koa. This one-of-a-kind guitar possessed a warm openness right out of the gate. It has a strong mid-range with good clarity. The Keyaki back and sides have been paired with a master-grade German Spruce top. This guitar was made for and displayed at the 2018 Woodstock Invitational Luthiers Showcase.
- Model – Concert
- Scale Length – 25"
- Top – German Spruce
- Back & Sides – Keyaki (Temple Wood)
- Neck – Solid Mahogany (One Piece Construction)
- Rosette – Radial Figured Mahogany
- Binding – Figured Mahogany
- Fingerboard – Madagascar Rosewood
- Bridge – Amazon Rosewood
- Headplate – Keyaki and Mahogany with Ebony Trim
- Tuners – Gotoh Cosmic Black
- Case – Cedar Creek Custom
Keyaki and German Spruce Concert Guitar, featuring Don Latarski