The Comma Series is a family of instruments that completely redefines what a high-performance guitar can be. In designing the Comma Series, I was driven by a desire to free the top from the inherent limitation and inefficiency of traditional X-bracing- that being the loss of meaningful vibration in the upper portion of the soundboard due to the structural requirements created by a centrally located soundhole.
Relocating the soundhole to the upper treble bout frees up much more real estate for vibration and amplifying sound. These are radially braced guitars, with braces arranged like spokes on a wheel from the bridge outward. Where traditional X-bracing locks the bridge and top into a relatively inflexible unit, my radial arrangement allows much more freedom of movement, while still providing critical support to the guitar top. The result is a tremendous increase in bass response, a warm and sophisticated top end, and more volume.
Each instrument in this series features many modern innovations, all contributing to a thoroughly rethought playing experience. This is not a random assortment of fashionable features cobbled together, but a carefully composed suite of interrelated sonic and ergonomic details resulting in an instrument unlike any other.
This is my ultra-high-performance parlor guitar. It is only 12 inches wide, but it produces a stunning amount of sound, with a very focused and powerful midrange, but plenty of sparkle and growl as well. This is as great a departure from the parlor guitars of the early 20th century as one can go while still utilizing the same amount of soundboard.
- Scale Length: Multiscale 25.4" - 24.9"
- Frets to Body: 14
- Nut Width: 1-13/16"
- String Spacing at Saddle: 2-5/16"
- Fingerboard Radius: Compound 14 – 20"
- Lower Bout Width: 12 1/8"
- Maximum Body Depth: 3 7/8"
- Back & Sides: East Indian Rosewood or Honduras Mahogany
- Top: Sitka Spruce or Red Cedar
- Neck: Honduras Mahogany
- Neck Profile: Comfortable Contemporary C profile
- Player's sideport in upper bout (Period series)
- Neck Binding and Headplate Binding: Ebony
- Headplate, Fingerboard & Bridge: Ebony
- Rear Headplate: Ebony with volute
- Nut & Saddle Bone
- Tuning Machines: Waverly nickel or equivalent
- Binding: Curly Maple, Ebony or Rosewood
- Rosette: Single line abalone or fine herringbone rosette (Period series)
- Emblem: Wilborn diamond emblem in headstock and rosette
- Finish: Gloss nitrocellulose lacquer
- Pickguard: Complimentary wood or clear pick guard, if desired
- Case: Visesnut Active Flight Case or Ameritage Custom Case
Comma Series models start at $9500.00. Price add-ons are available at the Wilborn Guitars website under Pricing & Options.